Page 3359 of 3359 FirstFirst ... 23592859325933093349335733583359
Results 33,581 to 33,588 of 33588

Thread: Russ's Cafe Bar

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Donít sigh theatrically, Mod. You said that your city centre postcode is one of the least polluted in the UK. Itís not. Vast swathes of the country are less polluted than your city centre postcode. You said it directly and you were wrong. For once in your life just say ďMy mistake, I was wrong.Ē rather than arguing that you actually said it wasnít bad or that a 2 is only slightly more than a 1.

Much if not most of the country is a 1, your city centre postcode is not ďone of the least polluted in the UK.Ē Itís not bad, granted, but itís more polluted than much of the country. The middle of Sleaford, a medium sized town near us is only a 1 as are all the villages and small towns Iíve checked out this way. The middle of the city of Lincoln (granted itís a small city and only just worthy of the title......) is only a 1, Mod.

Now if you had said ďmy city centre postcode is one of the least polluted city postcodes in the countryĒ Iíd agree with you. But over most of the UK we enjoy better air quality than you lot living in cities. We do have postcodes out here you know
    Just unbelievable.

Listen you need to have a serious look at why you react so hysterically to my posts.

This is a consistent pattern and I think it's like you eat too much red meat or something.

I never said my city centre post code is less polluted than where YOU live or rural areas in general.

I said it is one of the least polluted areas of the U.K.

On a scale of 1-5, a 2 compared to say those scoring a five or four would be one of the lower polluted areas right?

You seem to be not only projecting something onto me constantly or be very poor at reading comprehension.

I posted because I was surprised at the score for my urban postcode not seeking to play silly schoolyard top trumps nor prove a hypothesis about urban vs. Rural areas. That's your ****img construct on my post to be frank.

Come on - out with it exactly what IS your problem with me?

You don't seem to behave like this with anyone else?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

I wasnít being in the least hysterical. You seem to be but I wasnít and still arenít. I even went to the trouble of chucking a couple of friendly smilies in there. And neither was I playing top trumps or whatever else you think. I have no problem with you, Mod, I just said I didnít agree with your point that the middle of Manchester was less polluted than the majority of the UK (in terms of postcodes). Data seems to support my view but it matters not really.

Just chill. People are allowed to disagree with you and point out why. I agreed with some of what you said, disagreed with other bits and said why I disagreed. No big deal.

I agree with others on here on many things but disagree on other points. The difference isnít whether I disagree with them or how I do it (which is often a darn sight more polite than when you do Iíd have to say). The difference is that they simply debate the fact without acting like any challenge to what they say is in some way an attack on them. Itís not. I disagreed with what you said. I didnít and donít have any problem with you.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I cant see what Pete is saying that looks remotely hysterical. On the face of it it just looks like Mod said "my postcode is one of the least polluted in the UK", clear fact is its not.

Reality is that the "data" is probably an algorithm factoring in postcode density/number of main roads/motorways within a radius of the postcode/etc, so wont be totally accurate, and I cant imagine the earthsorce company doing air sampling at every postcode. Cities will just have more air pollution with volumes of traffic, often stationary - so spewing out crap into the atmosphere.

Mod with your technical background I was surprised you even posted the comment in the first place

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I cant see what Pete is saying that looks remotely hysterical. On the face of it it just looks like Mod said "my postcode is one of the least polluted in the UK", clear fact is its not.

Reality is that the "data" is probably an algorithm factoring in postcode density/number of main roads/motorways within a radius of the postcode/etc, so wont be totally accurate, and I cant imagine the earthsorce company doing air sampling at every postcode. Cities will just have more air pollution with volumes of traffic, often stationary - so spewing out crap into the atmosphere.

Mod with your technical background I was surprised you even posted the comment in the first place
    On the face of it that was not what I was saying - I was merely surprised that the assumption (and mine at the time) based on a simple maxim of city=bad / rural=good is clearly not true.
    If rural is near motorway / dense road networks then my city centre postcode could well be cleaner.

One thing we can perhaps all agree with is London contains all the worst places...

Meanwhile back in my patch we have Andy Burnham and various other worthies up here trying to push an emissions charge and pollution tax when the whole of the city is only level 2.

Thatís the kind of madness you get when people donít use data nor itís nuances to make decisions.

Name
    steve

Air pollution can vary from day today week by week just looked at my location which is a 3 today but by Friday will have doubled to a six I'm in London https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/forecasting/

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    On the face of it that was not what I was saying - I was merely surprised that the assumption (and mine at the time) based on a simple maxim of city=bad / rural=good is clearly not true.
    If rural is near motorway / dense road networks then my city centre postcode could well be cleaner.

One thing we can perhaps all agree with is London contains all the worst places...

Meanwhile back in my patch we have Andy Burnham and various other worthies up here trying to push an emissions charge and pollution tax when the whole of the city is only level 2.

Thatís the kind of madness you get when people donít use data nor itís nuances to make decisions.
    Donít disagree with any of this and like I said my local (albeit small) city is largely if not entirely a 1 and like Manchester, which as I said is not bad at all, does this with no need for congestion charging or Ďpolition taxesí. Lincoln doesnít even have a complete ring road so much of the traffic has to pass through the city. Iím sure there are areas outside cities where it is worse, near power stations possibly? Maybe along major routes? I agree though that this inconvenient fact is unlikely to sway the likes of Andy Burnham from trying to scare people into giving up more money and/or freedom.

Sorry you took my earlier posts as you did, Mod. Maybe they can be read in that light but other than a light-hearted dig at you city folk (Iíve lived in London and Washington DC so it really is just a light-hearted dig) they werenít intended that way. Perhaps the occasional inevitable result of conversing via only text? When I insert a or ;) it really means Iím not saying it in an agressive manner and am indeed saying it with a bit of a smile. If you read my earlier posts again, you know, the ones before you called me aggressive, stupid and hysterical (note the smilie....) youíll perhaps see they could be taken diffetently

A348W is offline Toyota MR2 355 replica Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

The Defra/Met Office on is interesting.

Having look at the forecast for my area, Friday for example, the country side of the Cotswolds is worse than City Centre Bristol.

Looking at the FAQ, its only a forecast model based on algorithms, it does not appear to take in actual pollution level readings. I'm no environmental scientist, but the defra/metoffice forecast looks to be a bit of a generalisation for a broad area; noting all the inaccuracies/assumptions etc. that will be in any model.

Whereas the EarthSense is a historical view based on a sample data set, (over what period?) but again processed through some algorithms.

I would treat both as general guides only, at best. But anybody with any common sense would be able to compare two different locations, and give a rough prediction based on weather forecast. That said, given the apparent common sense of the average public, more of this sort of thing is required and we like pretty pictures anyway!!!

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Donít disagree with any of this and like I said my local (albeit small) city is largely if not entirely a 1 and like Manchester, which as I said is not bad at all, does this with no need for congestion charging or Ďpolition taxesí. Lincoln doesnít even have a complete ring road so much of the traffic has to pass through the city. Iím sure there are areas outside cities where it is worse, near power stations possibly? Maybe along major routes? I agree though that this inconvenient fact is unlikely to sway the likes of Andy Burnham from trying to scare people into giving up more money and/or freedom.

Sorry you took my earlier posts as you did, Mod. Maybe they can be read in that light but other than a light-hearted dig at you city folk (Iíve lived in London and Washington DC so it really is just a light-hearted dig) they werenít intended that way. Perhaps the occasional inevitable result of conversing via only text? When I insert a or ;) it really means Iím not saying it in an agressive manner and am indeed saying it with a bit of a smile. If you read my earlier posts again, you know, the ones before you called me aggressive, stupid and hysterical (note the smilie....) youíll perhaps see they could be taken diffetently
    Fair enough