Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New daily driver?

Name
    Dark Knight

Default New daily driver?

I drive a late model M3 as d/d and I'm bored with it. Great cars but I need something with more soul.

With my 360 being a weekend car (2 is enough for me currently), what Ferrari for around 30k would you say is the best d/d all things considered?

Also considering a Porsche 993 (hold their value well but dated interior and not a big fan of the 996), Jaguar E type (!), Corvette (older late 60s model), TVR Tuscan. Ruled out 6 series/SL convertible as again no soul.

Everyone will have their preferred taste - but, can you comment on suitability as a d/d?

Hud is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Rob

mileage doesnt affect them too bad, solid cars
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Not that I have any idea of D/D's of this calibre but...

Maserati 4200, picked from Autorader with a price tag of 20k
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Darren B

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    Don't like the 348? Should be a better proposition as a DD then some of your choices and has soul to burn

Name
    G

Noble

Name
    afr

993 C2 - great cars with lots of character and discrete enough to be used daily. Used to have one myself as daily driver. Worth looking at 964 C2 also.

Name
    Chris

I've just swapped my M3 d/d for an Aston Martin Vantage

I considered 997 S, XKR, and Maserati Gransport but delighted with my choice

Fuel economy apart I think running costs will be similar to an M3, but coupled with lower depreciation (if you buy an early one as I have). I've got an early 2006 one with 15k miles - car tax only 245pa and if I add 10k a year it will be average miles if I want to sell in a couple of years.

You can now pick up a good car for high 30k even from a dealer - although the price of mine started with a 4...

Name
    Marco

I'd say keep it classy and make your stable totally Italian and go with the GranSport. 30k gets you something far more interesting and pretty than a 911, 4 genuine seats, a good sized boot and one of my personal favourite engines of all time (well, the one from the 4200 was and they're almost identical) and it's rarer than the V8 Vantage to boot (to my mind just as pretty) and is supposed to be a better drive as well

God, just writing about it makes me want one....too bad I'm "stuck" with my d/d Renaultsport Clio!

ETA: I had a 4200 as a daily drive, was a great car for GTing, only downside was the CC gearbox which was sorted for the GS
    Last edited by Mario149; 04-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    I drive a late model M3 as d/d and I'm bored with it. Great cars but I need something with more soul.

With my 360 being a weekend car (2 is enough for me currently), what Ferrari for around 30k would you say is the best d/d all things considered?

Also considering a Porsche 993 (hold their value well but dated interior and not a big fan of the 996), Jaguar E type (!), Corvette (older late 60s model), TVR Tuscan. Ruled out 6 series/SL convertible as again no soul.

Everyone will have their preferred taste - but, can you comment on suitability as a d/d?
    With regard to those three specifically? None of them. 308s & 328s are all over 20 yrs old & corrosion would be your main concern. 355s (IMO) are too fragile to drive every day (thinking specifically of exhaust manifolds & valves).

Porker 993 would be a miles better choice - or maybe a 964 for something a bt more retro

Name
    jamie

What is it about your M3 that you don't like or find dull? I absolutely loved mine and it is such a great all rounder that I wouldn't have swapped for any of the cars you mentioned...
    Sadly it got stolen. Would be great to use a 355 as a daily drive but I just think I would get fed up with how basic it is and the very average driving position. Worse on the other two still....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast