Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: O/T : My first Hybrid

sssdu01 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Watched it all. Still don't want one. If I wanted to go from 0-60 quickly I'd buy something like a Caterham 620R then buy a nice saloon with (some of) the change.
    +1

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    +1
    Me too.

I really have no idea why Tesla is making things so damn difficult for itself. It is getting roasted all over the business press for yet again failing to make the cars it even has orders for let alone indulge in stupidly over hyped press announcements. Why it is trying to sell hideous looking saloons to old farts who won't buy one until the have a 500 mile range and toilet break speed charging is beyond me. Like apple it could and should have targeted the next generation, knocked out a cheap car for 17 years olds and it would have sewn things up in a generation. Those people had nothing invested in the past so would have adopted from the start.

With their cheeky deposit funding their manufacturing despite cash being poured in it actually insulting to me that they would take my money, the governments money (mine again thanks - tax), and still not be able to deliver me a car on time.

Total piss-take and the very worst of crony capitalism.

Back O/T having the first cold days in the active hybrid and not really noticing any real drop off in battery perfomance. As always some little annoyances - the iPod connection doesn't work with any stability and on digging into it I find that newish BMW's are now no longer compatible with the old classic iPod which is a shame. I have a 60gb iPod with almost all my music on and I can switch it between all of our cars Except now the BMW. The run-flat tyres are awful and introduce a horrible dead feel to the car which is only exacerbated in this weather when you need to feel what is under the wheels. They will be off in the spring. I was curious and took a look at the battery the other day which shocked me at how small it was. It is less than two large pizza boxes and not much deeper. It's a shame because with a little more oomph from the battery the ICE Would never be needed in town. It's 20mph throughout our city centre which should be well within the 3's capabilities BUT no-one but the people who live here drives at 20.
    As a result if I accelerate on electric to 20 / 25 I get loads of ICE cars behind me fed up and in order to get off the line quickly the ICE kicks in.

So 100hp of electric would be much better but I said I am not modifying it didn't I ?

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Having watched it all now I'm still curious. It does not make me want one as such. I think what scares me most apart from I could probably only afford a model 3 and would have to wait until at least September 2019 is what depreciation might be.

Name
    CPD

+1
    Me too.

I really have no idea why Tesla is making things so damn difficult for itself. It is getting roasted all over the business press for yet again failing to make the cars it even has orders for let alone indulge in stupidly over hyped press announcements. Why it is trying to sell hideous looking saloons to old farts who won't buy one until the have a 500 mile range and toilet break speed charging is beyond me. Like apple it could and should have targeted the next generation, knocked out a cheap car for 17 years olds and it would have sewn things up in a generation. Those people had nothing invested in the past so would have adopted from the start.

With their cheeky deposit funding their manufacturing despite cash being poured in it actually insulting to me that they would take my money, the governments money (mine again thanks - tax), and still not be able to deliver me a car on time.

Total piss-take and the very worst of crony capitalism.

Back O/T having the first cold days in the active hybrid and not really noticing any real drop off in battery perfomance. As always some little annoyances - the iPod connection doesn't work with any stability and on digging into it I find that newish BMW's are now no longer compatible with the old classic iPod which is a shame. I have a 60gb iPod with almost all my music on and I can switch it between all of our cars Except now the BMW. The run-flat tyres are awful and introduce a horrible dead feel to the car which is only exacerbated in this weather when you need to feel what is under the wheels. They will be off in the spring. I was curious and took a look at the battery the other day which shocked me at how small it was. It is less than two large pizza boxes and not much deeper. It's a shame because with a little more oomph from the battery the ICE Would never be needed in town. It's 20mph throughout our city centre which should be well within the 3's capabilities BUT no-one but the people who live here drives at 20.
    As a result if I accelerate on electric to 20 / 25 I get loads of ICE cars behind me fed up and in order to get off the line quickly the ICE kicks in.

So 100hp of electric would be much better but I said I am not modifying it didn't I ?

Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    Having watched it all now I'm still curious. It does not make me want one as such. I think what scares me most apart from I could probably only afford a model 3 and would have to wait until at least September 2019 is what depreciation might be.
    And and the battery performance will slowly get worse and worse, with a finite effective life, might be as little as 4 to 5 years, ......... and your car is now scrap as new batteries will cost an arm and leg. And dont expect any honesty from the electric car companies re battery life as they will tell you what could be achieved under laboratory conditions with optimized power use and recharging protocols, that will be impossible to achieve in real world use.

Look on the bright side we can use all the dead electric cars to rebuild Hadrian's wall and dump all the toxic batteries north of the border

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Gordon

Straight line performance doesn't appeal to me either, and I had no idea the ludicrous mode required such battery conditioning before and after; funnily enough that hasn't generated much column inches.

A gimmick, bit not a handy one if you need to sit at the light for 10 minutes for it to get the batteries ready for a launch

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

And and the battery performance will slowly get worse and worse, with a finite effective life, might be as little as 4 to 5 years, ......... and your car is now scrap as new batteries will cost an arm and leg. And dont expect any honesty from the electric car companies re battery life as they will tell you what could be achieved under laboratory conditions with optimized power use and recharging protocols, that will be impossible to achieve in real world use.

Look on the bright side we can use all the dead electric cars to rebuild Hadrian's wall and dump all the toxic batteries north of the border

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Straight line performance doesn't appeal to me either, and I had no idea the ludicrous mode required such battery conditioning before and after; funnily enough that hasn't generated much column inches.

A gimmick, bit not a handy one if you need to sit at the light for 10 minutes for it to get the batteries ready for a launch
    You're not going to win many traffic light GP's because the Corsa will be in the next town by then

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post

Have been in one in ludicrous mode and it is just that. The acceleration is literally 'next level' fast and I include the road legal FXX in that comparison. Tesla have been showing up at SCD events demo-ing the straight line speed. Trouble is their sales people come across like bible bashing missionaries with a prepared script of 'counter arguments'. Why they would waste such energy with hopeless petrol addicts is beyond me but given their strategy to hit the high end market first that's where the have to go.

They have an engineer who attends these events who spouts utter BS until he realises it is someone with some insight then he agrees that the cars are what they are. I doubt we will see a fully electric supercar as for reasons highlight on the grand tour they are really not the future - hybrids on the other hand...

Electric with a screaming V12 top-up motor anyone?

Name
    Simon Dutton

I have said before that batteries are a dead end and I think just unusable for most normal people, and that Hydrogen gas is the answer - driven by the haulage industry

I just read an interesting article which relates to this. I just hope that in a few years I can enjoy watching the likes of Tesla going bust as I think they have pursued the "Politically Correct" solution rather than the one that will work in the real world.

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/16734/s...-on-fuel-cells

Name
    Adrian

I have said before that batteries are a dead end and I think just unusable for most normal people, and that Hydrogen gas is the answer - driven by the haulage industry

I just read an interesting article which relates to this. I just hope that in a few years I can enjoy watching the likes of Tesla going bust as I think they have pursued the "Politically Correct" solution rather than the one that will work in the real world.

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/16734/s...-on-fuel-cells

Also as applied and being driven by the marine industry.

As for "politically correct" couldn't agree more. Similar to the Gov investment in wind and wave energy, whilst predominantly ignoring tidal. Which of these energy sources is predictable every hour of the day, 365 days per year for as long as we care to predict it? What energy source is visible and would make good headlines to the average Joe? Cynics start your engines...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678