Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed please - considering a normal 458

Question Advice needed please - considering a normal 458

It looks like a long wait for a new 488 for me, so I am toying with the idea of getting a "normal" 458 coupe in the meantime, as I am thinking it is unlikely to lose too much value in the next 2 years.

Is that a reasonable assumption?

What are the must have options on a 458 Italia please? And what are nice to have options?

458 Italias seem to be mostly over 150k. Is that reasonable?

I've driven one previously and liked it, but haven't done any research into the model yet.

Name
    Mark

I can't answer too many questions but 458 values do seem to be holding up remarkably well at present. A shame for us!

sssdu01 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I would be worried that 458 values will follow the normal Ferrari values cycle and may start to drop just when your new 488 has arrived. Why not spend the money on a 430 (and have change) ? as I would expect the 430 to show a greater pro rata increase in value than a 458.

Of course if you arent so worried about the money side of the equation, then the 458 in probably a better car then the 430/360, and being a newer car might be less likely to give you a nasty repair bill for the next 2 years ?? Who knows ?? But a nice problem to have

Name
    CPD

458's will drop as inclusive maintenance plans ending start to be a factor

Name
    cgt

I bought one for £125k two years ago after selling my manual 430. I think that's a sensible level for them, £150k seems too close to a 488. F12's are also dropping gently..

achaddy is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    I bought one for £125k two years ago after selling my manual 430. I think that's a sensible level for them, £150k seems too close to a 488. F12's are also dropping gently..
    Was that Private or trade price.

For me 458 prices have stayed exceedingly high against the other marks. TBH I think the 430s are well over priced now as they have the same faults as the 360 and more (manifolds). Yes there is better software, more power but generally same car. And yes I have driven one.
    I would only want to move up to a 458 as I would see that as a realistic step up from the 360 and thought the prices would level out better than they have. I had a 2 year plan over 2 years ago, which has been destroyed by residuals. So I cannot afford a 458 any time soon and I begrudge spending £30K+ on what is only a marginally better car. And looks worse (I’m talking 430)
    488 release appears to have done nothing to the 458 prices and the whole used (newer) ferrari market is a scam as far as I see it.
    Reasons why I will probably move away from the brand next year and look at Lotus who are doing great things at an affordable price. New Evora GT430 Sport looks awesome. I expect to get stoned now but hey, it’s how I feel. I would love to move up in the Ferrari camp, I “really” wanted a 599, loved the F12 but prices have just gone beyond me. I did say at one stage the 599 'would' be my next Ferrari but not to be.

Yes I am sad about it, lottery win I would fill my garage with Ferraris but… I am a modest income person hanging onto a dream.

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

Smile

I can see your disappointment that you can't make the step into a newer Ferrari that you want to make, Andy, but I don't think you can say the Ferrari second hand market is a scam. It's just market forces. No one has to sell their 458 for what potential buyers feel they *should* have to pay and while some are willing to pay the higher price that'll be the 'going rate'. I'd think many buying a 488 will be coming from a 458 so second hand asking prices for 458s will be largely linked to how much those people are willing to spend to step up to a marginally better car - your 360 to 430 arguments are no different when looking at a move from 458 to 488.

Personally, while I like Lotus cars (what's the plural of Lotus?) I wouldn't take any over the 360 you already have and I think medium term all will depriciate quicker than your Ferrari. If a 458 is the dream I'd be awfully tempted to hang on a bit - I agree with mod that 458 prices will probably soften as inclusive maintenance ends. Add to that a significant number of second hand 488s in the market in a couple of years and you could see 458 residuals fall.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I can see your disappointment that you can't make the step into a newer Ferrari that you want to make, Andy, but I don't think you can say the Ferrari second hand market is a scam. It's just market forces. No one has to sell their 458 for what potential buyers feel they *should* have to pay and while some are willing to pay the higher price that'll be the 'going rate'. I'd think many buying a 488 will be coming from a 458 so second hand asking prices for 458s will be largely linked to how much those people are willing to spend to step up to a marginally better car - your 360 to 430 arguments are no different when looking at a move from 458 to 488.

Personally, while I like Lotus cars (what's the plural of Lotus?) I wouldn't take any over the 360 you already have and I think medium term all will depriciate quicker than your Ferrari. If a 458 is the dream I'd be awfully tempted to hang on a bit - I agree with mod that 458 prices will probably soften as inclusive maintenance ends. Add to that a significant number of second hand 488s in the market in a couple of years and you could see 458 residuals fall.
    The market is not a scam it is just the result of a number of factors. You talk about the 430 issues but the point is many owners have had these things sorted and therefore want to re-coup some of what they have put into their cars when they sell. At the kind of mileages 430's have now done it's likely that CCM's have been replace (£15k) manifolds and exhaust done (£15k) ball joints and rods (£8k.) Even at say £100-£110k it's likely owners have not 'made' any money when they sell. There is a franchise dealer selling a nice Scud right now that they are definitely losing money on based on what they had to spend to get it up to Ferrrari standards. Sure there are cars a lot less but then you see as soon as they drove off the lot they needed some of the above. For all of us if we want to 'move up' we all face the same leap which is being stretched by newer cars and the price elasticity enhancing options list. Ferrari road cars have changed dramatically from the 430 on because the options strategy went into full swing meaning any tipo can have been sold at double its list price if optioned to the hilt. This is why now there is also a wide range of prices for each tipo.

I am like you, I would love a 458 and the turbo car has no interest to me but I have a highly optioned F430
    I therefore need a well optioned 458 and one that has done half the miles my car has. I know during my ownership I will have to replace CCM's and Ball joints and Rods £25k so on deep reflection I am not motivated to pay the difference. Meanwhile the PCP switch in the broader new car market has also precipitated a price rise across the whole market as people are duped into thinking that renting is owning.

It is for that reason that now I have my F430 as I want it I decided during the selling process which I only did half heartedly that I would rather keep it - I suspect I am not alone and why as used cars many Ferrari stay in the same hands for a long time. Every day I look at her the more attractive she becomes...

achaddy is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Yes, scam was a bit strong or wrong word but I do feel the dealer network are keeping the prices high. But as you say if people are willing to pay then that must be the market price. Maybe also fuelled by any new customers wanting the turbo have to wait 12+ months to get one so only option would be to take a used 458.
    I've heard from someone who benefited that 488s are being moved on for 25% above their purchase price for people who are deperate and dont mind paying the premium. But that's a different story I suppose.

I blow hot and cold over the Lotus thing. I actually was selling the 360 a year ago to get a Lotus but here I am with the 360 still in the garage.

sssdu01 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I have had an elise for 16 years and whilst it is fun to drive, punching well above its weight for the engine power (111s with the VVC K series engine), and you can really feel the lightness and delicacy of the design, is just in a different lower league to Ferrari's.

Lotus feels so flimsy and about to explode (and it has several times ), with my 430 feeling like it could be driven hard all day without anything falling off. Yes I have driven newer Lotus models and they feel fragile as well.

Picking between the two would be like deciding who is your favorite child, but if I had one drive left before I went to death row, it would be in the Ferrari as both are fun in their own way but only one is special.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast