Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Those hoping for a price crash...

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    What's 'heavy traffic"? It's rush hour here if you pass more than 2 tractors
    Indeed

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9402cb7fd0.jpg

Name:  668962c5135837b1f86afa9402cb7fd0.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  57.5 KB

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

AndrewE is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    just how much of the stop-start nature of heavy traffic is due to the nature of the power delivery of an ICE vehicle.
    How is the power delivery of ICE linked to stop-start nature of traffic? Please explain your reasoning.

The stop-start nature is not related to the way the power is delivered its a function of driving behaviour (not reading the road ahead) and other factors including road and junction design

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewE View Post
    How is the power delivery of ICE linked to stop-start nature of traffic? Please explain your reasoning.

The stop-start nature is not related to the way the power is delivered its a function of driving behaviour (not reading the road ahead) and other factors including road and junction design
    Stop start traffic is down to many things but one of the primary reason it has gotten much worse over recent years is the dramatic increases in modern vehicle braking performance. Every car on the road these days can stop at a rate that makes a mockery of the Highway Code yet only sports and supercars really accelerate at a fast rate. This encourages the lack of anticipation in the driver behaviour you see. ICE Power contributes as it's torque curve means that when moving off and then slowing down again in heavy traffic very few people gradually increase speed / coast or maintain a constant low speed. Turbo engines don't help either. The EPSRC did the research on this. We can all mitigate for this by maintaining a constant speed and lane discipline but apart from Germany I never see any real lane discipline on motorways.

My own hybrid can get along quite nicely in heavy traffic on EV power and it positively encourages 'sailing' (and hence regen) rather than braking later on. The problem is that often that creates a '******' gap where someone sees enough space to move one car ahead of the lane they are in and the efficient and smoothing 'sail' becomes a braking event and so it goes.

It's just very noticeable as soon as you daily a hybrid the difference in driving style you adopt and the contrast to the norms of ICE driving.

Of course the 'Smart' motorways don't help in this matter as the overheads promote late and sharp braking and then artificial speed oscillations in trying to stay within the limit whilst being paranoid about what it could be about to be. Today's 250mile trip for me to Jaguar / Land Rover and back was blighted by smart motorways going up and down the speed 40 / 50/ 60 and the associated ripple effects. Of course if it was really 'smart' they would clear the head of the congestion by displaying 90/100/120 but if you can only control a system in one direction it isn't a very smart system at all.
    Last edited by Modificato; 27-09-2017 at 07:27 PM.

AndrewE is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Stop start traffic is down to many things but one of the primary reason it has gotten much worse over recent years is the dramatic increases in modern vehicle braking performance. Every car on the road these days can stop at a rate that makes a mockery of the Highway Code yet only sports and supercars really accelerate at a fast rate.

Of course the 'Smart' motorways don't help in this matter as the overheads promote late and sharp braking and then artificial speed oscillations in trying to stay within the limit whilst being paranoid about what it could be about to be.
    Interesting observations but I'm not convinced better braking performance directly results in more stop start traffic. Your comment about the Highway Code should also relate to acceleration. The average car a several decades ago (when the braking distances were established) struggled to accelerate to 60 in less than 20 seconds.

Also the managed motorway speed limits do not PROMOTE late and sharp driving. Lack of good driving behaviour leads to late and sharp braking nothing else. The idea of slowing traffic down to 40 is to allow the congestion ahead to ease. What happens is that people do not see anything around them when the 40 signs come on so they and they do not link slowing down for a mile or so will actually make the traffic flow much better overall giving more reliable journey times and a more relaxed journey

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewE View Post
    Have you driven an EV?
    I have not but I have been on numerous 'rockin'rollercoaster" type rides where they accelerate off the mark rather than trundle down a steep structure.

It may come as a surprise but I have little interest in traffic light grand prix's. What I would miss in a milk float is the noise that accompanies any drama.

I am not totally ruling out an EV to replace my CLK but that would be for DD tasks. The infrastructure is not there quite yet (I know it will be) and the astronomical cost for an EV puts me right off.

One day when everybody else has made them cheaper and the infrastructure evolved. I won't ever like them other than novelty factor from say a new iPad

It probably sounds arrogant but just like the idea of me having intercourse with a man I just know without doubt I won't enjoy it.

From what I've read after about 5 or so traffic light GP's you would wait by the roadside for an ICE truck to tow you to the nearest 13 amp socket as it'll have ran out of electricity . Nobody has engineered a way to buy a gallon of electricity. That element unlike the ICE probably won't be worked out for sometime I suspect? Anybody?

PS I much prefer the build up of the coaster that drops you from a great height. Much more thrilling than the rockin milk float thing.
    Last edited by MalcH; 28-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910