Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Those hoping for a price crash...

Mike01606 is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Once liquid hydrogen pumps start to appear on garage forecourts then all the problems of transmiting the "extra" electricity to street charging points, along with all the infrastructure point issues/charging leads/no where to plug in etc will disappear as most will use Hydrogen powered vehicles. These will be as convenient as filling up with petrol and the battery vehicles will become the new "Satans" fuel machines with horrendous batteries/expense/disposal issues. The transport industry will drive this as its not really viable to have electric HGV vehicles. The current rush to battery vehicles is being driven by "Lefty Greeny's" who havnt a clue about the real environmental costs or logistics.

Hydrogen can be made with surplus electricity and stored, so sunny windy days we can have "green" sources running at full pelt and actually use the surplus electricity, which at the moment goes to waste.
    One word......Hindenburg!

Ok until your neighbour starts spannering on his fuel cell and levels the street.
    Isn't fuel density an issue also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candellara is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    ...Your prayers may have been answered...

Diesel owners start praying http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/owners...R2Z&ocid=ientp
    It goes all the way across the total market. Diesels are finished IMO. Why would you currently buy a new diesel? Everyone is awaiting the new tech (about 10 new EV's in the market next year) The economy is suffering also (largely thanks to Brexit) - Apart from the high end car's - the Classic car market is stagnant with nothing really selling

sssdu01 is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    One word......Hindenburg!

Ok until your neighbour starts spannering on his fuel cell and levels the street.
    Isn't fuel density an issue also?

Hydrogen cars have been played with by lots of manufacturers and its safer than petrol

Regarding safety - Interesting article here https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ndenburgs.html

We have considered changing the eurobox shopping car for an EV, but I will hang on for Hydrogen. (and expect to have to convert some of my petrol cars into Hydrogen ICE at some point in the future which is easier than you think it might be, as you are just burning gas rather than petrol vapor)

Name
    Mike M

Default Those hoping for a price crash...

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Hydrogen cars have been played with by lots of manufacturers and its safer than petrol

Regarding safety - Interesting article here https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ndenburgs.html

We have considered changing the eurobox shopping car for an EV, but I will hang on for Hydrogen. (and expect to have to convert some of my petrol cars into Hydrogen ICE at some point in the future which is easier than you think it might be, as you are just burning gas rather than petrol vapor)
    Their article's flawed.....it won't simply disappear if it leaks.

Current fuels burn, H2 explodes.

H2 leaks in a confined space such as a garage, car park will cause issues.
    It's actually quite hard to get petrol vapour to ignite (ever had a poor spark) a pool of diesel will probably put your match out.
    H2 very easy.....lowest ignition energy of any gas.

It'll never happen believe me....they would have to put so many control measures in place.

Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Their article's flawed.....it won't simply disappear if it leaks.

Current fuels burn, H2 explodes.

H2 leaks in a confined space such as a garage, car park will cause issues.
    It's actually quite hard to get petrol vapour to ignite (ever had a poor spark) a pool of diesel will probably put your match out.
    H2 very easy.....lowest ignition energy of any gas.

It'll never happen believe me....they would have to put so many control measures in place.

Some Hydrogen filling stations have allready opened up in the UK so whatever control measures are required are in place.

see this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/feat...otoring-first/

Name
    Simon

I'm with Simon....will bide my time for a hydrogen car. This whole current battery car thing is a complete blind alley. The need for infrastructure and the time to charge will kill it. Retrofitting petrol stations with H2 pumps will transform the opportunities for H2 cars to lead the way.
    The only way a battery car will work for the masses will be by service stations providing battery switches so the 'refill' is as quick as filling with petrol. Renault advanced this idea a few years ago. The main issue, as always, is agreeing on a standard for a battery. Probably never gonna happen.

Name
    Mike M

Default Those hoping for a price crash...

Probably similar to LPG Simon but much, much higher pressure and a very small (the smallest) odourless molecule.

LPG powered cars aren't allowed on the Eurotunnel for safety reasons so H2 will be the same.

Confined spaces and high pressure gas systems that have been spannered on by amateurs is a recipe for problems.

I think the answer will be a combination of technologies......and diesel of course ;)

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    We live in the sticks, my wife drives 25 miles to the hospital to work. Are the hospital really going to put hundreds of chargers into every parking space for staff?

I don't doubt all this could happen, but as usual the metropolitan elite see a vision of the future and want to get there now without thinking how we're going to get there, and who's going to pay for all this in terms of power stations, the grid etc

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    Why on earth would your wife need a charger at work?

Even the worst performing EV's have more than enough range for her.
    She can plugin at home every night.
    It's hardly a metropolitan 'elite' when they are the ones suffering the consequences of the pollution.
    The movement of people to living in large cities is happening apace and the post war dream of country/ suburban living (necessary to encourage because of Bomb damage) is fading.
    I don't understand the hoo ha about storage and Tesla. Our place in Italy is being built to be 100% self sufficient off-grid solar with a storage battery in the basement that is better than the Tesla one for less money. We are a long way behind the curve here in the UK due to our politicians kicking the can down the road for years so as normal we are now being 'shocked' into action.

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

The movement of people to living in large cities is happening apace and the post war dream of country/ suburban living (necessary to encourage because of Bomb damage) is fading.
    Really?!? I know you once said on here that we all should move into cities but frankly I'd rather not - generally think large cities are fine to visit but bloody awful to live in. Between 1970 and 1980 there was about a 10% swing towards people living in cities in the UK. Since then the percentage change of people living in cities rather than outside them has been less than 1% per decade and that slow increase is predicted to continue through 2030. Hardly happening apace.

That is relevant as well - out in the sticks electric isn't nearly as great an option as it is in cities. I much prefer the idea of hydrogen tbh.

Name
    Simon Dutton

Mod you have extolled the virtues of city living and keep telling us everyone will move back into the city .......... so why are you having a place built in the rural countryside ??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast