Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie in search of first Ferrari - 360 Manual Vs F430 F1

Name
    fezzaman

Default Newbie in search of first Ferrari - 360 Manual Vs F430 F1

Hi All,

A Newbie on the forum so please do easy on me!

I am seriously considering getting my first Ferrari. I was very close to buying a Ferrari 360 a few years back when they were 40k, and silly me I didn't have the bottle at the time to pull the trigger on one and with prices going crazy it has set me back a good few years before being in the position to be able to get one again.

I have a budget of approx. 70k for an entry level one, and interestingly have seen 360 Manuals or early F430 F1's at this price (miles between 30-40k). Setting aside the usual buyer tips like doing a PPI, history check etc, I just wanted to get some views on what is the better buy at the moment.

I would be interested in peoples views on recommendations on the best Ferrari to buy out of the two. It will be used as a purely weekend car for dry days, and will probably spend more time in local traffic than I would like but that is simply because of living in inner city.

Like many people who dream to own an exotic, I have grafted for years to get into the position to afford to buy one and hopefully maintain it. But I do not unfortunately have the luxury of not having to worry about heavy depreciation so would also really appreciate views on which is the 'safer' bet in this respect (with the caveat that there is no such thing in reality). I read a lot of negative stories on the net about the used Ferrari price bubble about to burst, and take these with a pinch of salt but I think it would be foolish to ignore it altogether.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Default Welcome whoever you are and wherever you are

If we assume there is a bubble then the 360 manual is relatively more likely to be the victim of any correction having risen more within it

The 430 meanwhile will always be the newer car

Kyodo is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

If you look towards the 360, don't get caught in the hype about the 'manual' version. As Jos said, they'll cost you more to buy, are absolutely no better a car than the F1 variant and they could possibly fall further if the market cools too much.

The three pedal 360 was talked up hugely because people thought it was rare (it isn't) and that the F1 will always cost you a lot to upkeep (it wont).

Wishing you the very best of luck with your search.

Name
    fezzaman

thats interesting thanks. I assume that means F430 is either underpriced at the moment or the 360 manuals are overpriced as the gap is very small between the two.

What would an early F430 F1 (2005 year) be like to live with in big city traffic? Or a 360 F1 for that matter? I understand the F430 F1 whilst single clutch is somewhat of an improvement between the two.
    Last edited by fezzaman; 08-02-2018 at 05:07 PM.

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Don't dribble - make & fill a gap so you bring the clutch fully home

Name
    Adrian

1) What will the used Ferrari market do with 360/430s? Who knows. If any of us did we would be richer than we are; or less broke depending on your perspective;
    2) I'm sure there are pros and cons to both...read all the chat forums so you know what to look out for initially;
    3) Depreciation. Depends on what you buy, how long you keep it, how you maintain it, what happens politically, interest rates, if Trump has his parade etc etc. The later points are outside our control, the former are within your gift. Best you can do is get a good clean car and maintain it, after that keep your fingers crossed.
    4) Test drive each and buy the one you like. The market will do what it wants. In the interim enjoy the car!!

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Gordon

In my totally uninformed opinion, 360 F1s look better value compared to pretty much every other tipo on the market, so in that case I'd say they have less to fall if a correction was to come.

Also a 20% hit for example on a 360 is less than 20% on a 458 very obviously

Name
    fezzaman

thanks for your views guys. I hadn't considered the 360 F1 upto now due to some of the stories people seem to mention about it being a very poor driving experience in local traffic and the reliability of the system etc. Seems that a few owners on here are saying that the reality is quite different which is interesting so I may well need to test drive one and make my mind up before writing it off. The F1 360's seem to come in at 55-60k so that is a good 15k difference against an early F430.

Kyodo is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    In my totally uninformed opinion, 360 F1s look better value compared to pretty much every other tipo on the market, so in that case I'd say they have less to fall if a correction was to come.

Also a 20% hit for example on a 360 is less than 20% on a 458 very obviously
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Test drive each and buy the one you like. The market will do what it wants. In the interim enjoy the car!!
    +1

I'd say the 360 F1 shouldn't be looked at as unreliable and on the open road, everything about the system makes sense. Even more so with the later cars as the gear change software evolved a little over the lifespan of that model. The F430 is considered another step forward but I haven't driven one.

The rose-tinted spectacle brigade will go on about the manual gate and the click-clack of the shift. To be honest though, I've driven both variants and I'll take the wallop from our Challenge Stradale software F1 gear change over a noise I can almost replicate with my wedding ring on the aluminium gear knob in my wife's TT.

They're all great cars. Drive the lot, make a choice and enjoy!

Perhaps speak to Tim at Walkersport. He's extremely well regarded and may be able to source a decent car. He's also one of the go-to men for the PPI.
    Last edited by Kyodo; 08-02-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Mike01606 is online now Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Don't dribble - make & fill a gap so you bring the clutch fully home
    I can actually shunt mine (360 F1) along at idle in first with the clutch fully engaged.
    I find it really easy in traffic but not all are the same.
    Ideally you need to test drive one.

The 430 should be better.

When I bought my 360 in 2012. The cheapest 430 was circa 10k above the top of the 360 market (there was nothing between F1 & manuals).
    That probably still stands apart from the manual increase.

The main thing is buy a well looked after and sorted car to avoid a lot of early ownership costs.
    Mileage is a mute point but personally Id avoid the top and bottom outliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast