Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 430 Manifolds

Fluffekins is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Camcoat is a wet paint application. Having used it I wouldn't go that route again - I'd recommend either blankets or heat wrap instead.
    Hi Mark,

Like Jon mine also have been Camcoated, would you suggest heat wrap in addition?

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Like Jon mine also have been Camcoated, would you suggest heat wrap in addition?
    Jon, Russell,
    I had the problem of paint flaking off in various areas but mainly in the hottest parts of the silencer and manifolds.

Other options in order of cost:

In my experience heat wrap does a better job of keeping heat in the exhaust system when compared to a coating, especially if two layers are applied, but the downside is that it degrades over time in the hottest areas (it turns dark brown and crumbles), also it tends to leave tiny fibres in the engine bay. It would be tricky to re-apply to the manifolds once in-situ. It is cheap.

The Zircotec coating is more durable and offers an independently validated 35% reduction in surface temperatures. It is not recommended that the coating is mixed with wrap or other external barriers.

The Capristo blankets I have fitted really do a fantastic job and in fact I can hold the manifolds when at full operating temp. Durability is better than heat wrap but it is important to not let them rub on anything as they can wear though. I did find an alternative blanket a couple of years ago but I don't have any experience of it: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com..._Blanket_.html - it looks to use the same type of material as heat wrap so durability may not be good.

Inconel offers similar performance to the Capristo blankets but with the benefit of less weight https://turbosource.com/pages/incone...-ordering-form - price-wise it is at the top end.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by MWStewart; 13-03-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Name
    birdseye

I've seen many mentions of posters fitting non Ferrari manifolds and not having EML issues, but they are all " I know someone who hasnt" rather than "I personally havent had problems".

So has anyone on here fitted open market manifolds to a 430 and not had problems with the engine management light? Has anyone found the extenders for the lambda sensors to work in this respect?

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I have Capristo manifolds and haven't had any CEL or Management Light issues in 5 years. I did have one of the lamda sensors replaced a few years ago but that was due to a faulty sensor - they go through the heat cycle from HELL, and inspecting the old sensor showed the insulation had dried out and was cracking.

Name
    Aldous Voice

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I've seen many mentions of posters fitting non Ferrari manifolds and not having EML issues, but they are all " I know someone who hasnt" rather than "I personally havent had problems".

So has anyone on here fitted open market manifolds to a 430 and not had problems with the engine management light? Has anyone found the extenders for the lambda sensors to work in this respect?
    It all depends on the year of the car - the earlier the car the less likely a CEL. A 2005 and early 2006 model will run sans pre-cats without issue. Later 2006 and 2007 cars will flag a warning but most of the time it can be fixed with a miniature cat. MY2008 cars need to have the cat monitoring coded out of the ECUs.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by voicey View Post
    It all depends on the year of the car - the earlier the car the less likely a CEL. A 2005 and early 2006 model will run sans pre-cats without issue. Later 2006 and 2007 cars will flag a warning but most of the time it can be fixed with a miniature cat. MY2008 cars need to have the cat monitoring coded out of the ECUs.
    Great, mine's an '09 ...

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by voicey View Post
    Good knowledge share and fits 100% with my experience of these matters. Had my later car coded to suit at the same time as having it remapped by DMS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123