Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Rolex

Name
    name

Default Buying Rolex

Thinking about buying a gold Rolex. Don't know too much about them though. My father's got a day-date(?) - (or are these called 'President'?). I quite like this as it's quite elegant but also like the sportier-looking Daytona Chronographs. Mind you, I also have Breitling, which looks very similar to the Daytona...

What do you guys think?

Any thoughts on face colour etc?

Anything else I should know?

Also, where's the best place to buy either a cheap new one a good pre-owned, taking into account price and trustworthiness of the vendor?

Many thanks

Rob

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

hi rob

see link below to hackett watches;dom's a good friend and will look after you ; he posts on watch section at pistonheads too

i love the white gold daytona on leather strap fwiw

http://hackettwatches.com/

Name
    cgt

President is a style of bracelet Rob, only available on the Day-Date. I had one in the 90s but I'll be honest, and I think most will agree, yellow gold is not so fashionable these days. This is also reflected in availability new and used and used values.

Best bet is a Sports model, such as Submariner, GMT, Explorer or Daytona, all of which will hold their value. If you must have a Day-Date, white gold would be a better choice from a residual value point of view.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

2nd Dominic (proprietor) at Hackett Watches.

The rest of your queries are really down to personal choice. IMO yellow gold looks too gauche, and white gold is too soft so scratches very easily. It also looks little different to steel, so why pay the premium. The face choices on the white gold ones are a bit nicer though (red accents etc).

The Daytona is lovely, BUT IMO not worth a premium over list. Indeed at current prices, as a watch, it's not worth list for what it is. There are nicer watches from other brands at equivalent or less money (IWC, Breguet, Blancpain, JLC, AP amongst quite a few others). But I fully understand how some will want a Rolex no matter what...

Hud is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Rob

I have a brand new Rolex Daytona sat in a high street Jewellers awaiting my collection, stainless with black face. There has always been a waiting list for these, happy to talk - i have pmd you my home number

Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    2nd Dominic (proprietor) at Hackett Watches.

The rest of your queries are really down to personal choice. IMO yellow gold looks too gauche, and white gold is too soft so scratches very easily. It also looks little different to steel, so why pay the premium. The face choices on the white gold ones are a bit nicer though (red accents etc).

The Daytona is lovely, BUT IMO not worth a premium over list. Indeed at current prices, as a watch, it's not worth list for what it is. There are nicer watches from other brands at equivalent or less money (IWC, Breguet, Blancpain, JLC, AP amongst quite a few others). But I fully understand how some will want a Rolex no matter what...
    I had a Sub years ago and while I still like, and still have, my IWC Pilot's Chrono, for everyday wear you can't beat a steel Rolex. So I bought a GMT-II. They are a bit ubiquitous though, the 911 of the watch world if you like, but like 911s there's a reason you see tons of them every day...

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I had a Sub years ago and while I still like, and still have, my IWC Pilot's Chrono, for everyday wear you can't beat a steel Rolex. So I bought a GMT-II. They are a bit ubiquitous though, the 911 of the watch world if you like, but like 911s there's a reason you see tons of them every day...
    The comparison with 911's is a valid one, but only the air-cooled ones in terms of build quality

I'm wearing an Explorer every day that has been dropped, hit, knocked and all sorts over the past ten years, still going strong and no scratches that I can see on the watch. Sold my last Daytona because I didnt think it justified the silly money people were willing to pay for them, though I then didnt find it too hard to source another

Another Vote for Dom

Name
    MikeW

GMT master for me...I bought 2600's worth of Ernest Jones vouchers off ebay for 1800, and ordered the watch and collected it a couple of weeks later. they will do most of the SS range. Best discount you will ever get on a Rolex...food for thought

Name
    Jez Moore

Default Need a replacement crown

I have a Rolex Oyster Date Adjust and I need a new crown as the pin snapped off
    Does anybody have a contact, or can recommend a Rolex repairer I would be grateful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast