Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice (using non N-rated tyres on an old Boxster)

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Default Tyre choice (using non N-rated tyres on an old Boxster)

I've had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres on my 2001 Boxster S for a number of years now. Yesterday, I ordered a set of Michelin PS4 tyres in the correct sizes and speed rating (I think!) from Black Circles. Today, I just received an email stating:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "The tyres you have selected may not be suitable for your car as these are not Porsche approved units.
    All Porsche approved tyres are designated by an N rating. This denotes that Porsche has approved the tyres for use on their vehicles and these tyres are constructed specifically to suit the power, suspension and handling characteristics.
    We have come across instances where Porsche may not honour the warranty on vehicles fitted with non-approved tyres and as such we always recommend the use of the specific fitment. We have also had instances where customers have identified poorer performance as the results of switching away from N rated tyres."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now I know my previous were 'N' rated but does this really matter? My car is 18 years old so the warranty isn't an issue and I'd have thought a modern high-end Michelin PS4 would be more than sufficient for typical road use, bearing in mind the advances in tyre technology over the last 20 years.

Should I be concerned or just fit and forget? I can't imagine that they wouldn't be sufficient.
    Thanks, M.

Name
    cgt

It doesn't matter unless you are trading it in to a Porsche main dealer which given the age of the car is unlikely. I ran my 993 'S' on non N Rated Michelins, no issue whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

Thanks for the reply. I wan't too bothered about the N rating. I hear elsewhere that new PS2 tyres are better than the standard PS4 for the Porsche though. I even found a handy website with masses of data collated into a leaderboard and sure enough, the PS2 comes out in first place. As I've always been happy with the handling and grip, I don't want to risk any step backwards in terms of performance. I managed to take a different route through the Black Circles website and finally found the PS2, only slightly higher in price but I'm not concerned with the cost.

I'll phone them tomorrow and switch my order from PS4 to the PS2 I think.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Maybe check with your insurance first?

In the event of something happening, they could cause issues with a claim as tyres were not approved for Porsche?

Name
    cgt

Also look at it from the perspective that either tyre will be vast multiples better than 2001 tyre technology when the car was new. Same principle applies to many old cars, new tyre compounds give vastly better grip and traction and are probably the biggest single improvement you could make on such a car.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

I think both points are valid. I did wonder about insurance (any excuse not to pay...) when I bought my last set of PS2's years ago so rather than mess about, I just replaced like for like N-rated. I also believe, as you say, either will be better than the equivalent tyres manufactured 10-20 years ago.
    BUT, if, as other owner's hint that a new set of PS2 will be better for my car than a new set of PS4, that's all I need to know. The fact they'll be N-rated is a (almost negligible) bonus.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

I have a 1996 Boxster and replaced the old tyres with Michelin non-N rated tyres - in fact the same tyres I run on my 360. My 944Turbo which has a lot more torque runs Proxes which are also not N rated.

Its not surely an insurance requirement and I'd ignore it. If the tyres are good enough for other non-Porsche cars, many of which will be more powerful (the 360 has twice the BHP), they they're good enough for the older Porker.

dave964 is online now No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

I used non-N rated tyres on my 996 turbo once and it made sod all difference.

Also just fitted non-McLaren rated Michelin to the 650 and they are vastly better than the McLaren rated Pirelli that I replaced.

Name
    Mark

Cool. I'd thought about swapping my order to PS2 but I've decided to stick to the PS4's which I ordered. Thanks.

sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

I put Michelin Pilots on my 550 not long ago. Michelin stated that they did not do a tyre suitable for the 550 so ended up fitting 'Porsche" Pilots and they are a revelation compared to the Ferrari approved tyres I had been using, but thy were specified from 2002 when the car was built, or possibly even 1996 when the car first came out.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast